Choosing, maintaining and using the right knife for your best cooking
StartVideo: Knives 101 at Milk Street (7:48)
StartThe anatomy of a knife
StartTwo broad categories of knives
StartCarbon Steel v Stainless Steel (1:55)
StartVideo: Our essential knives (10:46)
StartSmall paring-style knives
StartIf you only have two knives
StartIf you have four knives
StartThe full Milk Street kit
Praise for Milk Street's online classes
I have to say, this course definitely leaves me feeling very empowered. I can take your methods and adjust a random recipe; I'm learning a lot. Thank you so much - I'm really having fun. And I've had fish 4 times in this past week - I don't think I've ever had this much fish from my own kitchen before!
- Pamela, Fearless Fish
"I am a 75 yr old retired male-cooking things I never thought I would--exciting-great challenge-looking forward to learning more in the future-Thanks!"
- Mike, Milk Street Cooking School
"I have always loved to cook, but have fallen into a rut in the past several years . . . I basically cooked the same boring old meals every week and then was annoyed that they were the same boring old meals. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the first course I completed, Not My Mother's Chicken, completely changed my relationship with cooking for my family. It helped me rediscover everything I used to love about cooking and the act became something fun, not a chore. Thank you for that, and I look forward to all of your new offerings!"
- Estella, Not My Mother's Chicken
What to expect in our classes:
- Short, clear and concise lessons tailored for the busy home cook.
- Gain kitchen confidence. Lessons that get you ready for cooking success because you learn the why behind a recipe before you cook and not during or, worse, after you are done. You will cook the recipes from class better once you’ve walked through a lesson with us.
- Lessons based on technique, skills and ideas that apply broadly to cooking but presented in the specific context of a recipe you can make tonight
- Optional quizzes and at-home cooking challenges and experiments
- Downloadable handouts on ingredients, skills, theory and more
- Extra recipes to continue your practice once class is done
- Class chat forums
What NOT to expect:
- Long, step-by-step recipe videos that you have to start and stop while you cook
- Classes that teach you how to make one recipe without showing you how to become a better cook.
Who our classes are perfect for:
- The curious home cook who wants to learn why cooking works but who also craves new, bold and simple recipes for great dinners tonight.
Frequently Asked Questions