Advanced Techniques: Vegetables
Char for meaty flavor, sear-steam-sauce for perfect texture, infuse oils with spices, and dive into vegetable knife skills.
Praise for Milk Street's online classes
I have to say, this course definitely leaves me feeling very empowered. I can take your methods and adjust a random recipe; I'm learning a lot. Thank you so much - I'm really having fun. And I've had fish 4 times in this past week - I don't think I've ever had this much fish from my own kitchen before!
- Pamela, Fearless Fish
"I am a 75 yr old retired male-cooking things I never thought I would--exciting-great challenge-looking forward to learning more in the future-Thanks!"
- Mike, Milk Street Cooking School
"I have always loved to cook, but have fallen into a rut in the past several years . . . I basically cooked the same boring old meals every week and then was annoyed that they were the same boring old meals. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the first course I completed, Not My Mother's Chicken, completely changed my relationship with cooking for my family. It helped me rediscover everything I used to love about cooking and the act became something fun, not a chore. Thank you for that, and I look forward to all of your new offerings!"
- Estella, Not My Mother's Chicken
What to expect in our classes:
- Short, clear and concise lessons tailored for the busy home cook.
- Gain kitchen confidence. Lessons that get you ready for cooking success because you learn the why behind a recipe before you cook and not during or, worse, after you are done. You will cook the recipes from class better once you’ve walked through a lesson with us.
- Lessons based on technique, skills and ideas that apply broadly to cooking but presented in the specific context of a recipe you can make tonight
- Optional quizzes and at-home cooking challenges and experiments
- Downloadable handouts on ingredients, skills, theory and more
- Extra recipes to continue your practice once class is done
- Class chat forums
What NOT to expect:
- Long, step-by-step recipe videos that you have to start and stop while you cook
- Classes that teach you how to make one recipe without showing you how to become a better cook.
Who our classes are perfect for:
- The curious home cook who wants to learn why cooking works but who also craves new, bold and simple recipes for great dinners tonight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Catherine has spent the past decade as a freelance writer, editor, recipe developer, food stylist, and culinary instructor.
While pursuing a Master’s Degree in Gastronomy from Boston University, Catherine launched The Pocket Garden, a Boston-based personal chef business, and became a frequent contributor to The Boston Globe food section. She is the 2014 recipient of Les Dames Escoffier Legacy award for food writing, and her recipes and writing have appeared in Saveur, Departures, Whole Foods Market magazine, and other publications. In 2018 Catherine co-founded not just co. , makers of modern pantry staples like “not just pasta sauce.”, a versatile, veggie-packed cooking sauce.
You’ll often find Catherine at Christopher Kimball's Milk Street, where she's a cast member of Milk Street TV, which airs on public television; a contributor to Milk Street Radio, which airs on public radio; and a lead instructor at the Milk Street Cooking School.
Catherine lives in Massachusetts with her husband Artie and son Jack.